Excess and Special Baggage
The Flat fees are charged for excess and special baggage. This also applies to sports baggage that exceeds the free baggage allowances.
Excess baggage regulations and flat fees
For asa airline guests fees* apply if their checked baggage meets the allowed pieces but possibly exceeds in weight and/or dimension. Please note that if you have a piece of baggage that is too heavy and too large, charges for an additional piece of baggage may be incurred.
Maximum weight per item of baggage
For all tickets a maximum travel weight of 32 kg per item of baggage applies, irrespective of service class.
Items of baggage which exceed these weights will not be accepted as travel baggage. They can be sent by air cargo at air cargo rates.
Note on Economy Class Light fare
Please note that you may incur the following fees with later booking or checking of baggage with the Economy Class Light fare on European flights:
- When booking on LH.com, at the Service Center or a travel agency: 15 EUR / 19 CHF / 17 USD
- When booking at the Lufthansa ticket counter in the airport: 30 EUR / 35 CHF / 35 USD
- When booking at the departure gate and in the Service Centre at the airport: 45 EUR / 55 CHF / 50 USD
Sports baggage is carried free of charge** under the free baggage regulations (number/weight of bags).
Registering sports baggage: up to 24 hours before departure via the reservation hotline (+49 (0)69 - 86 799 799). Please specify your booking code.
Exception rules for sports baggage
- The sports baggage exceeds the free baggage allowance but not the maximum weight: Rules and prices for sports baggage to download
- The sports baggage isn’t listed in the sports baggage regulations: Excess baggage charges apply (see above)
- The sports baggage exceeds the maximum weight of 32 kg: The charges for cargo transport apply
Special baggage and bulky items of baggage
Special tariffs and conditions apply to the transportation of bulky items of baggage and other special baggage such as musical instruments, for example. Further information about these can be obtained from the Lufthansa Service Team.
Musical instruments*** which weigh more than 32 kg may only be taken on Lufthansa flights after registration and approval:
Regulation and tariffs for musical instruments
|Route||Maximum weight****||Maximum dimensions||EUR
|Within Europe /
between third countries
|52 kg||200 cm x 75 cm||200||300|
|Intercontinental||52 kg||200 cm x 75 cm||300||400|
Ski or snowboarding equipment as free baggage
Which baggage regulations apply to carry-on baggage in the case of journeys operated by several airlines?
In addition to your free baggage allowance, you may take one piece of ski or snowboarding equipment free of charge on your Asa flight.*/** The maximum weight of an additional piece of ski or snowboarding equipment must be within the weight limits of the travel class you have booked.
Please register your ski baggage without fail no later than 23 hours before departure with the asa Service Center. This is only necessary so that Lufthansa can ensure that your ski baggage is carried.
Free baggage rules for children
- Children under two have a free baggage allowance of one piece up to 23 kg. */****
- Children aged two or over have the same free baggage allowance as adults.
- Additionally, a car seat or folding buggy or pram or a baby carrier may be carried as carry-on baggage free of charge. Further information is provided on the Carry-on Baggage page.
- Further information about taking child seats and Moses baskets on board with you is listed on our ‘Safety for infants on board’ page.
Extended free baggage rules for:
A higher free baggage allowance applies to Frequent Travellers, Senators, AirPlus Members and Star Alliance Gold members.
Passengers with sports baggage
Sports bags can be checked in free of charge as part of your permitted free baggage allowance.
Specific free baggage allowances apply to Economy Class passengers on certain routes. New: Economy Class passengers flying to/from east asia on a ticket issued since 8 January may take two bags with them, each up to 23 kg.*This does not apply for the new Economy Class Light fares on European flights.
**All routes except for those to/from the USA, Canada, Mexico and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama).
***Here, a regular piece of baggage of up to 23 kg can be booked for a fee
****In this case only the accompanying adult can check in one piece of baggage. Additional pieces of baggage must be checked in as excess baggage.