In order to ensure your safety on board, the transportation of certain items in baggage or hand luggage is prohibited by law.
For safety reasons the following items are not allowed on board:
- Briefcases with built-in alarm devices
- Explosives, fireworks, flares
- Pressurized containers containing irritant gases, self-defense sprays, camping gas
- Containers with flammable liquids such as lighter fuel, paint, varnish, cleaning agents
- Items that ignite easily, such as matches
- Substances that emit flammable gases upon contact with water
- Oxidizing substances, such as bleaching powder, peroxides
- Poisonous (toxic) and infectious substances, such as quicksilver, bacteria and virus cultures
- Radioactive materials and items
- Corrosive substances, such as acids, alkalis, wet cell batteries
- Strongly magnetic materials
- Petrol-operated equipment and tools that have contained minimal amounts of petrol (e.g. for test purposes)
- Electro shock weapons, such as tasers
- Self-balancing, small electric vehicles such as hoverboards, mini-Segways, Airwheels and Solowheels, for example
Free baggage dimensions: The maximum size per piece of baggage, regardless of class, is 158 cm (width + height + depth).
Items of baggage that are larger or heavier than the permitted dimensions and weight or that are additional to the free baggage allowance will be carried as excess baggage for a flat fee.*/*** Items that weigh more than 32 kg will be transported by air freight for a charge. For further information, please visit the Excess and Special Baggage page
Ski or snowboarding equipment as free baggage
Which baggage regulations apply to carry-on baggage in the case of journeys operated by several airlines?
In addition to your free baggage allowance, you may take one piece of ski or snowboarding equipment free of charge on your Asa flight.*/** The maximum weight of an additional piece of ski or snowboarding equipment must be within the weight limits of the travel class you have booked.
Please register your ski baggage without fail no later than 23 hours before departure with the asa Service Center. This is only necessary so that Lufthansa can ensure that your ski baggage is carried.
Free baggage rules for children
- Children under two have a free baggage allowance of one piece up to 23 kg. */****
- Children aged two or over have the same free baggage allowance as adults.
- Additionally, a car seat or folding buggy or pram or a baby carrier may be carried as carry-on baggage free of charge. Further information is provided on the Carry-on Baggage page.
- Further information about taking child seats and Moses baskets on board with you is listed on our ‘Safety for infants on board’ page.
Extended free baggage rules for:
A higher free baggage allowance applies to Frequent Travellers, Senators, AirPlus Members and Star Alliance Gold members.
Passengers with sports baggage
Sports bags can be checked in free of charge as part of your permitted free baggage allowance.
Specific free baggage allowances apply to Economy Class passengers on certain routes. New: Economy Class passengers flying to/from east asia on a ticket issued since 8 January may take two bags with them, each up to 23 kg.*This does not apply for the new Economy Class Light fares on European flights.
**All routes except for those to/from the USA, Canada, Mexico and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama).
***Here, a regular piece of baggage of up to 23 kg can be booked for a fee
****In this case only the accompanying adult can check in one piece of baggage. Additional pieces of baggage must be checked in as excess baggage.